Wednesday, March 16, 2016

"How Israel Is Being Framed"

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/195487/how-israel-is-being-framed

            As humans, we have the natural inclination to categorize things. When we do this categorizing, we are completely abandoning the opportunity to understand deeply a situation or person, and grow from the experience of doing so. This categorization of people and situations is not only the root of racism and sexism, but also the root of those who believe that the Black struggle in regards to police brutality is the same as the struggle for Palestinians in Israel. By automatically categorizing these two struggles together, they are refusing to acknowledge the great differences between the respective situations. If they were to actually look deeper into the situations, they would see that Black Lives Matter movement focuses on how the victims are innocent, whereas “Palestinians do share in the responsibility for their own travails and suffering”. And while I do not believe that Palestinians fully deserve their suffering, there is a clear and undeniable difference between the two situations, differences that are worthy of people’s attention.

            As a reform Jew, I am often accused of laziness- of not participating in Jewish traditions simply because I am too lazy to. But in this case, I have educated myself on the topic enough not to allow my brain to automatically categorize them together. The solution of this natural inclination to categorize is simply education, so I highly suggest that people educate themselves and understand the two topics, before blindly considering them as one.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your perspective of this subject. I completely agree with your opinion about how humans automatically categorize things and since they do, they put the two struggles of the Palestinian struggle and the Black Lives Matter movement which is not correct in my opinion. I think that people who realize that the two have very different goals and mindsets and identifying them together is not right.

    ReplyDelete