Tuesday, May 10, 2016

My role in Am Yisrael

This is my role in Am Yisrael, the people of Israel:

I am a spokesperson. In Burlingame, I am heavily involved in both Jewish life and non-Jewish life. I volunteer at my temple, go to NFTY events, and Jewish club, all meanwhile being involved in Mock Trial, ballet, and choir. Both types of activities allow me to meet and talk to different types of people. When I talk to non-Jews through these activities, naturally, my Jewish life comes up in conversation. Because I am an Asian Jew, their view of what a Jew is supposed to look like is often shattered as I hear them say “Wait, you’re Jewish? How is that possible?” The relationship usually follows with more breaking of Jewish stereotypes and information about Judaism. Now that I have learned in Israel for four months, these conversations will be even more informative than before.

I am a role model and support system for other Reform Jews in my area. Many Jews my age are rather timid of their Judaism. Some do not like admitting that they are Jewish, as it is associated with the frowned-upon Zionism. I, however, am extremely proud of being Jewish. Hopefully, my own pride will encourage other Jews around me not to hide their Judaism.

I break stereotypes of what it means to be a Reform Jew. Many Jews hold the view that Reform Jews is simply synonymous with lazy Jews, or with Jews who are too afraid to be openly Jewish within American society. However, I am a Jew who is neither lazy nor afraid to be Jewish. By being in Israel and studying Jewish history, I have learned to make an informed choice about what is meaningful about Judaism for me in the modern age.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My role in Am Yisrael, along with every other Jew’s role in Am Yisrael, is crucial. Every role is responsible for ensuring the continuation of the Jewish people. I have done so by making people more proud of their Judaism, thus making them more likely to pass it on to next generations. I have informed people about what Judaism is, thus making others more understanding of it rather than blindly hating it. I have broken stereotypes about reform Judaism, thus ridding of misunderstandings that lead to lack of unity amongst the Jewish people.


The longevity of the Jewish people can be contributed to in countless ways. I do not believe that it matters how this contribution is made, but far more so that the contribution is actually done. Many are closed minded about the type of contribution.  Some say it must be done by making many Jewish children, while others say it must be done by studying Torah incessantly, while others say that it must be done by fighting for a Jewish homeland. I personally believe that any type of contribution to the assurance of a Jewish future is the key to playing a role in Am Yisrael. If we, all Jews, can remember that it can be achieved in limitless ways, it will help unite us.

No comments:

Post a Comment