Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Anti-Semitic Resteraunts


I found this article shocking. In areas of Eastern Europe where Jewish communities were annihilated by the Holocaust, restaurants are profiting off of anti-Semitic stereotypes. One particular example of this that disturbed me was when the author overheard a conversation in which the waiter (with a fake Jewish name and fake Peyot) told the customers that “the drink was made by squeezing Jews’ Peyot”. It’s hard for me to understand how a restaurant such as this could survive. I thought that only a few individuals were still bluntly anti-Semitic, but if restaurants can thrive based off of anti-Semitism, then clearly anti-Semitic people are abundant. I thought people have learned since the Holocaust that anti-Semitism is unacceptable. Evidently, I was wrong.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/i-ate-jewish-food-in-lviv-and-lived-to-tell-the-tale/#.Vwm86WVihU0.facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment